The UFC has been back in action for several weeks now, and fans of the sport, as well as those involved in it, couldn’t be happier. After the UFC action last weekend, most competitors walked away unscathed, but as you will expect, potential suspensions are coming up on medical grounds for some.
Since the UFC’s return, it’s been a big hit with viewers, with many of them opting to place bets on the action. If you are into the sport and have good knowledge about the fighters in the world’s leading in-cage championship, you should try out these MMA betting strategies. Although, the news on potential medical suspensions could alter your plans for the imminent future and the UFC events in the pipeline.
Spike Carlyle went to war on the main card with Billy Quarantillo. And, since the bout, the former has had to undergo an MRI scan on his left knee. At the time of writing, Carlyle is unable to compete until at least June 30. Still, it could be extended for a sixth month period up until the end of November if an orthopedist or doctor don’t give their clearance after getting the MRI results through.
The show at the weekend opened with Vince Morales and Chris Gutierrez doing battle. The latter managed to secure a TKO victory over the former after a flurry of savage leg kicks, and you would think that’s why Morales is potentially facing a long time out on medical grounds. But it isn’t.
Morales is currently suspended until July 15 as a minimum after sustaining a fracture to his right orbital bone. He will now need an ophthalmologist to sign his forms to clear him to compete again when his standard suspension comes to an end in less than a fortnight, or, he faces a sixth-month layoff and won’t be allowed to return until November 27 like Spike Carlyle.
Tyron Woodley, another fighter who appeared on the main card, sustained a deep laceration above his left eyebrow. He will be out of action as a result for a fortnight, with his suspension running until July 15. However, he will be able to gain clearance earlier if a doctor makes the call on his behalf.
Here is a full rundown of the medical suspensions for the UFC action which took place on ESPN 9 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission:
- Spike Carlyle: Suspended until June 30, no contact until June 21, potential suspension until November 27 without clearance
- Vince Morales: Suspended until July 15, no contact until June 30, potential suspension until November 27 without clearance
- Tyron Woodley: Clearance needed from a doctor or suspended until July 15. No contact until June 30
- Gilbert Burns: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.
- Augusto Sakai: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.
- Blagoy Ivanov: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.
- Billy Quarantillo: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.
- Brok Weaver: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.
- Antonina Shevchenko: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.
- Klidson Abreu: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.
- Louis Smolka: Suspended until June 30. No contact until June 21.